How Did You Survive Alone? (Irish Roulette #3) by Ki Brightly and M.D. Gregory



This is a very hard review to write. Did I enjoy this book? Yes. Did it make me happy? No, it did not.


I started this series with the knowledge that it was a harem romance. A harem is when there is one person who is the main love interest, then you have others that all love that person. It took me 2 books to fall in love with Vail. Vail has ADHD and is brilliant. But also because of the way he thinks, comes across as scatterbrained. By the second book, I got that and wanted nothing more than for him to stay happy with his 4 men.


Then this book came out. I inhaled it. As much as it upset me, I could not stop reading it.


Vail is no longer the main love interest. That's a spoiler, but since this story is told via the POV of Aspen and Fallon, it's not much of one. This story was about Aspen and Fallon falling in love. Vail was pushed to the side. Maybe if Vail had his own POV, it would not have felt that stark, but alas, this is what we got.


Don't get me wrong, I loved that Aspen came to acknowledge his feelings and admit that he loved Fallon, and that Fallon was able to be loved, but did it have to come at the expense of Vail?


I will give you examples that I had already noted when I was raging about this last night. Fallon goes into the hospital for reasons and Aspen is the one who does not leave his side. Vail shows up to visit every now and again. When the one time Vail was able to get Aspen to leave and take a shower, Aspen refused sex with Vail cause it would be cheating if Fallon wasn't there.


Then during sexytimes Fallon starts getting jealous that Aspen is smiling at Vail. Really? The one person who is supposed to be the love of all of these men?


--Aspen gave Vail the little smile he seemed to save for him, and I was shocked at how goddamned jealous it made me. What had Vail done to get it?--


So this harem turned into a polygon, which is fine, but why not start that in the first book? Why make it seem like it was going to be a harem all the way through?


While all this is happening, Fallon is also falling for Rowen and Cillian. Both of them are also more into him.


Or as Cillian says "Vail’s our innocent angel, but you? You’ll be our whore."


Aspen and Cillian are getting very close to doing more with each other, which is exciting. But poor Rowan was pretty much left out of this story.


Will I read the rest? Most likely because I love the mob parts of the story. They are very over the top and I enjoyed them. But I am also very disappointed. After falling so hard for Vail, I wanted him to be so very happy and he wasn't.


In the epilogue, on Vail's date night with Aspen and Fallon, Aspen takes him to a MMA fight with a lot of people and Vail is very uncomfortable. But since it's something Fallon wants, Vail does not get a choice about it and that sums up my feelings about this series.GR Link

Comments