Black Mouth by Ronald Malfi - Narrated by Joe Hempel



#audiobookreview #horror #netgalley

Fair warning, like most horror books, there are things in here that require you to be able to handle - such as child abuse, child murders, PTSD, alcoholism, child grooming, and animal torture.

So this was a story about a group of childhood friends who lived near a place that everyone around them looked down upon. Most of them were either abused on purpose or by neglect, but none of them were living a happy childhood. Then they met the magician and that's when everything spiraled into the badness that later follows them into adulthood.

I read this in audio so I did not have the chance to flip back a page or two to figure out the confusing parts, of which there were many, because the story was done in two timelines, the past when they were children and the present, when they were all adults.

We have here Jamie, Clay, Mia, and Jamie's brother Dennis, who is described as slow but I did not remember any sort of diagnosis given for how he was. I am not going to lie, Dennis was the only one I thought was good and I was so upset with how he was treated/portrayed in here. Everyone but Dennis leaves the area but all end up coming back after Jamie's mother dies.

Things happen and the big bad was taken down, but man, I am going to complain about that ending. I felt like I was robbed. After listening to this for hours, that is what I get? The only person who should have gotten an HEA was the only one who didn't.

GR Link


Comments